Information for Authors
The length of submissions should be a maximum 7,500 words. Longer manuscripts will be returned with a request to reduce the word count. Please prepare all manuscripts consistent with the following guidelines, and download and include this cover sheet. Doing so will facilitate anonymous, fair review, and efficient handling of your work.
Please follow exactly the guidelines of the most current versions of the MLA Handbook (8th edition) or the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Include an abstract (maximum 200 words) as part of the manuscript, following the title and preceding the body of your text.
- Save your manuscript as a .doc or .docx format; please do not send PDF files. If you have special formatting needs, please consult the editors for advice.
- Use double-spacing for text.
- Add a running head (shortened title) with page numbers at the upper right corner.
- Do not use boldface or other special typeface anywhere in the manuscript.
- Follow guidelines in MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing for use of notes. Turn off auto note/numbering function and insert notes manually. Numbered notes should be placed as endnotes, not footnotes.
- Use clear and distinct styles for main and secondary headings.
- Double-check and cross-check all citations that appear in text and in the bibliography to ensure accuracy and correctly formatted citations.
- Tables should be used sparingly. They should be placed in the manuscript where appropriate. Tables should be saved in the program in which they were produced.
- Images should be used sparingly. They should be placed in the manuscript where appropriate.Submit images and line-art as image files in uncompressed TIF or JPG format and as separate files, at 300 dpi or higher. Seek and secure permissions for use of images that you did not create.
- Remove all identifying information. Check your manuscript carefully prior to submission to insure that all comments, track changes, and identifying properties have been deleted.
- Please clear the “properties” (metadata) so that your article is completely anonymous for the purpose of review.
- Include the cover sheet.
Submissions that do not follow these guidelines or that are missing the cover page will be returned to authors before review.
The editorial team will acknowledge articles as they are submitted, and they will provide authors with a progress report within six weeks of submission. Before articles are sent to reviewers, the three co-editors read all articles. Our goal is to respond to authors with reviewers’ comments within two months.
WPA:Writing Program Administration publishes both review essays of multiple books and reviews of individual books related to writing programs and their administration. Publishers are invited to recommend appropriate books to the book review editor, Courtney Adams Wooten, at email@example.com. If you are interested in reviewing texts, please contact the book review editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Announcements and Calls
Relevant announcements and calls for papers will be published as space permits. Announcements should not exceed 500 words, and calls for proposals/participation should not exceed 1,000 words. Please include contact information and/or links for further information. Submission deadlines in calls should be no sooner than January 1 for the fall/winter issue and June 1 for the spring issue. Please e-mail your calls and announcements to email@example.com and include the text in both the body of the message and as an MS Word attachment.
While CWPA journal authors must grant rights to CWPA necessary for the publication of their journal articles, individual authors retain full copyright to their published works, such as sharing their article as they wish. CWPA respectfully requests that authors share the PDF version of their article available on the CWPA website (as opposed to a draft), since this is the definitive published version with the necessary bibliographic information.
See the author agreement (attached below) for more information.
Send submissions and queries to Lori Ostergaard, Jim Nugent, and Jacob Babb at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send Book Review queries to Courtney Adams Wooten at email@example.com.