CSULA Department of English
Associate/Full Professor of Rhetoric and Composition and Director of First-Year Writing
1) An earned doctorate (Ph.D.) in Rhetoric and Composition or closely related field from an accredited institution (or equivalent) is required at the time of application.
2) Evidence of successful teaching experience in undergraduate writing courses.
3) Evidence of research activity in the field of Rhetoric and Composition, including publication(s) in scholarly journals.
4) Documented experience in writing program administration.
5) Documented experience with the assessment of learning objectives and writing programs.
6) Evidence of experience mentoring tenure-track and lecturer faculty to improve writing pedagogy and create effective writing courses.
1) Evidence of additional research activity in one or more of the following areas: basic writing, multilingual learners, community engagement; writing in the disciplines (WID, or professional/technical writing.)
2) Evidence of research activity in writing program administration.
3) Evidence of experience with writing and program assessment in multilingual environments.
4) Evidence of experience in an intersectional, social justice framework that centers race, ethnicity, and/or immigration status.
The successful candidate will contribute to our commitments to writing and literacy studies, community engagement, the public humanities, and the preparation of California’s secondary school teachers. The successful candidate will initially lead the first-year writing program; teach lower-division, upper-division, and graduate courses in rhetoric and composition; design new courses in their area of expertise.
For more information, please refer to the extended position announcement:
Please submit the following:
1) A cover letter specifically addressing minimum and preferred qualifications.
2) A curriculum vitae.
3) A list of three professional references.
4) A narrative statement describing your commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students in a multicultural/multiethnic urban campus environment with a substantial population of first-generation students.
5) A University Application for Employment Form
Review of applications will begin November 15, 2018, and will continue until the position is filled.
Please email all application materials in a single PDF to Department Coordinator Stephanie Lai at Slai8@calstatela.edu. Please type “English FYWD Tenure-Track Application” in the subject line.