Arizona State University - (Job# 12791)
Rank: Instructor Specialty: Writing Programs
The Department of English at Arizona State University invites applications for the position of Instructor. The successful candidate will be expected to teach courses primarily in the Writing Program and in other disciplinary areas within the department as needed. This is a full-time, benefits-eligible appointment made on an academic year basis (Aug 16 – May 15). A typical full-time course load is five classes per academic semester. Subsequent annual renewal is possible contingent upon satisfactory performance, the needs of the unit, availability of resources, and sufficient enrollment in assigned courses.
Anticipated start date is August 2019.
- MA in Rhetoric and Composition, English Education, Linguistics, Literature, or related discipline; or MFA in Creative Writing
- Three years’ experience in higher education teaching composition courses, and evidence of effective teaching.
- Ph.D. or evidence of graduate coursework beyond the Master' level in Rhetoric and Composition or related areas;
- Experience writing teaching at all levels of the undergraduate curriculum;
- Evidence of experience in both theory and practice within a writing intensive field, such as: academic writing, creative writing, developmental writing, disciplinary writing, second language writing, and workplace writing;
- Evidence of participation in relevant professional development; evidence of experience teaching multi-media composing or online/hybrid courses.
- Demonstrated success meeting the needs of underrepresented student populations and/or reaching out to diverse communities
This is a paperless search; only electronic materials will be accepted. To apply, please submit electronically to: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/asu/english the following:
- A letter of application,
- Current curriculum vita (CV);
- One-page statement of teaching philosophy,
- Three letters of recommendation about teaching ability,
- Unofficial graduate transcripts, and a summary of recent teaching evaluations.
No paper applications, faxes or emails will be accepted.
The applicant’s last name should appear in each uploaded file name. Questions about the position should be directed to the search committee chair at: Shirley.Rose@asu.edu. Initial application deadline is April 18, 2019; if not filled, applications review will continue every week thereafter until search is closed. A background check is required for employment.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. ASU's full non-discrimination statement (ACD401) is located on the ASU website at: https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html
AJO has an 8 MB single file upload limit, see this FAQ for workarounds: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/faqs/0/41