Assistant Professor, Basic Composition, Utah Valley University
Applicants must use this link to apply:
Job Open Date 02-08-2011
Screening date 03-08-2011
Job Close Date Open Until Filled
Department Basic Composition & ESL
Job Title Faculty, Assistant Professor, Basic Composition
Requisition Number 052512
Job Grade (Staff Only) No Response
Salary or Wage $53,000-$55,000
Job Category Faculty
If Faculty, is this position tenure track? Yes
Type of Position Full-time
Number of hires: 1
Summary of Duties The Department of Basic Composition invites applicants for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Basic Writing to begin August 2011. The successful candidate will join a small, diverse and dynamic department of faculty who are committed to social and situated approaches to literacy instruction and engaged in innovative, student-centered pedagogy, including portfolio-based curriculum and a blend of traditional classroom instruction and on-line learning.
Successful applicants will teach a diverse student population using a variety of instructional modes and acknowledged best practices in the discipline, review and revise curriculum, engage in scholarly activities, and participate in departmental and campus service, including department leadership, faculty in-service and college/institutional committee work.
The Department of Basic Composition supports the open-access University in its mission to provide opportunities for students from a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives, to engage with real-life contexts and local and global communities, and to prepare students for success in their educational, professional and personal goals. We welcome candidates who share these commitments.
Minimum Qualifications An earned doctorate from a regionally accredited institution in
Rhetoric & Composition, English, English Education, or a closely-related field is required. Experience teaching Basic Writing in a higher education setting is greatly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities -Knowledge in and ability to teach basic reading and writing using a variety of instructional modes and acknowledged best practices in the discipline.
-Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to social and situated approaches to literacy instruction.
-Ability to engage in innovative, student-centered pedagogy including portfolios and blend of traditional instruction and on-line learning.
-Ability to teach effectively a diverse student population.
-Ability to review and revise curriculum.
-Ability to engage in scholarly activities, including publishing.
-Demonstrated collegiality, strong interpersonal and problem solving skills.
-Ability to participate in departmental and campus service, including leadership.
Selective placement factors
Special working conditions or schedule:
Special Instructions to Applicants - To be considered an applicant for employment you must apply online through the UVU.Jobs website.
- To receive full consideration for post-secondary education, please submit copies of transcripts or diploma of highest degree earned. Transcripts do not have to be official copies.
- To be considered in the first screening, the online application and required application documents (see below) must be submitted by the screening or closing date.
- Our system can only accept supplemental documents (such as cover letters or transcripts) in PDF or Word format. The file size of documents must be less than 2MB. It is strongly recommended that you take documents that are not in an electronic form and scan them into a separate black and white PDF file so you can attach them electronically to the online application. You can get help with this at a local copy center if needed.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the results of a background check, which includes a credentials check, an employment check, and criminal records check. A criminal conviction is not necessarily a bar to employment.
- Application materials become the property of UVU.
- For questions contact Human Resources at HREmployment@uvu.edu.
Required Applicant Documents Cover Letter
Optional Applicant Documents Transcript
Letter of Reference
Letter of Reference 2
Letter of Reference 3
Copy of Diploma of Highest Degree Earned