Seton Hill University seeks qualified applicants for the full-time, professional staff position of Assistant Coordinator of the Writing Center. The applicant must be able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing and must be able to work cooperatively with various constituencies within the university community. Applicant must have experience in teaching and working with students from limited income or first generation backgrounds and international students. Computing knowledge is required. Experience teaching and assessing ESL students is a plus. Requires a Masterâ€™s degree in English, Education, English as a Second Language, Language Studies, or related field. Salary: upper $20K. Please send a letter of interest, resume, and name and phone number of three references by June 9, 2006 to: Marcia R. Pratt, Director of C.A.P.S., Seton Hill University, Box 508F, Greensburg, PA 15601.
Purpose of Position: To assist Coordinator in managing the Writing Center, work with Writing
Center staff to meet academic needs of students, and teach developmental ESL courses.
Background / Skills Necessary for Position: The incumbent must be able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing and must be able to work cooperatively with various constituencies within the college community. Requires a Masterâ€™s degree in education, English as a Second Language, language studies, or related field. Must have experience in working with students from limited income and first generation background. Teaching experience and computer knowledge are required.
1. Assist the Writing Center Coordinator in managing the Writing Center.
2. Provide supplemental writing support and instruction.
3. Assist in the use of the computers and software programs available in the Writing Center.
4. Develop and present workshops and programs to meet the needs of all students.
5. Teach developmental ESL courses.
6. Assess ESL studentsâ€™ writing and verbal skills for university level work.
7. Compile and maintain the required records and reports.
1. Promote the Academic Support Program and serve on institutional committees.
2. Cooperate with other staff and refer students to other services as needed.
3. Attend meetings, workshops, and seminars to enhance personal and professional development.
4. Perform all other duties as required.