Director of the Writing Center
Position Tracking Number: F586
School/College: Vice Provost for Graduate Programs and Research
Department: Writing Center
Location: East Campus
Azusa Pacific University is seeking a Director of the Writing Center. The new director will administer all aspects of the Writing Center which serves traditional undergraduate, graduate, and non-traditional students. The director provides leadership for and coordination of consultation and tutoring in writing to students across the university’s multiple campuses; provides students with structured, personalized writing instruction that reflects and integrates current writing theory and practice for a wide range of writing projects including thesis and dissertation preparation; and delivers presentations and workshops related to writing skills. The Center operates largely on the peer mentoring model, and has expanded recently to include graduate and online writing support. This is an administrative faculty position reporting to the Vice Provost for Graduate Programs and Research.
• Oversee all aspects of the daily operation of the Writing Center including overseeing budgeting and public relations
• Hire, train, and supervise full-time Resource Coordinator, part-time writing consultants, and peer tutors
• Develop writing seminars and workshops
• Promote and publicize the services of the Writing Center (e.g., programs, philosophy, and procedures) to the campus community
• Coordinate creation and dissemination of writing resources
• Collaborate with faculty to determine needs of students; respond to faculty referrals to work with students in areas of need
• Communicate with the Department of English regarding writing consultant referrals, specific writing issues, and other relevant information
• Provide professional development for Writing Center staff related to writing theory and practice, including online delivery of writing support services
• Maintain the technology and equipment needs of the Center
Level: Department Director
Qualifications: Master’s degree is required; Ph.D. preferred in English or Composition and Rhetoric.
Skills: Strong interpersonal skills for interaction with faculty and students, strong verbal and written communication skills, demonstrated ability to work creatively and cooperatively, strong project planning and management skills for projects of varying complexity.
Experience: Experience administering campus-wide writing support services to diverse student populations; successful teaching and tutoring experience
Workload: Full-time, 12 month administrative faculty position
• Ability to integrate Christian values in all aspects.
• Ability to engage in critical thinking and exercise independent judgment.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information.
• Self starter, ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form.
Hire Date: Open until filled
To apply, visit http://www.apu.edu/cp/employment/. Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled.
Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.