Director of Writing Center / Assistant Professor
This is a full-time (12-month), tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor rank, which is responsible to teach two courses in writing per fall and spring semester and direct the Writing Center. The Director works primarily throughout the academic year but will also be responsible for overseeing the Center through the summer months. In collaboration with the Director of the GCU Writing Program, the Director of the Writing Center will be responsible for creating the vision, mission, and environment for this newly formed addition to the campus. Anticipated start date for this position is July 1, 2015.
- Develop a mission, vision, and student learning goals/outcomes that reflect those of GCU.
- Design an assessment plan for the Center, including a system for documenting and assessing individual and group tutoring sessions.
- Begin purchasing necessary resources for use in Center.
- Develop instructional handouts and other curricular materials and create a GCU Writing Center web site for above information with links to web-based resources.
- Provide and preserve a sense of direction for the Writing Center.
- Oversee the day-to-day operation of the Center.
- Design and implement face-to-face and online tutoring workshops and materials for students and faculty.
- Teach/tutor in the Writing Center’s programs.
- Prepare and/or purchase materials needed in the Writing Center.
- Interview, select, and train professional and student tutors (for f-2-f and online tutoring).
- Supervise and evaluate professional and student tutors.
- Provide for regular reports on the activities, progress, and challenges of the Writing Center.
- Prepare budget and administer budget allocations.
- Ensure continuous funding of the Writing Center.
- Publicize the Writing Center.
- Coordinate with Director of GCU Writing Program and GCU faculty to serve all instructional programs that require writing, including WI and WAC programs as they evolve.
- Continue professional growth through appropriate reading, courses, studies, research, and participation in professional organizations and workshops.
- Oversee and assess writing center's instructional programs.
- Participate as an active member of the Writing Advisory Committee, as well as other college committees as assigned.
- Coordinate with staff in the Student Success Center when appropriate for student development.
- Integrate the core values of respect, compassion, integrity, justice and service in all aspects of interaction.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A Doctoral degree in Rhetoric & Composition preferred; doctorate in English Education or related field will be considered.
- Demonstrated knowledge of WAC/WID/WI programs.
- Experience teaching at the college level; ELL, developmental and/or first-year composition preferred.
- Professional experience in a writing center required; experience in development and/or administration of a writing center preferred.
- Experience working with both professional and peer tutors; experience in development and implementation of training programs for tutors at various levels preferred.
- Experience with an LMS, preferably Blackboard.
- Documentation of excellent teaching and communication skills.
- A demonstrated dedication to research and scholarship, preferably in rhetoric/composition.
Application Instructions: In order to be considered for this position, you must submit your credentials online. Create a Georgian Court University Employment Account by clicking on the URL link to the online application on our web site: http://georgian.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=54260
You will be able to upload the following documents, which are required for consideration:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Statements of teaching philosophy and research interests (optional for inclusion)
- Unofficial transcript
Recent letters of recommendation from three professional references with contact information. Letters can be included with your online application or sent to: Georgian Court University, Office of Human Resources, 900 Lakewood Avenue, Lakewood, NJ 08701
The finalist will be required to submit an original transcript from the institution awarding her/his terminal degree. References will not be contacted without prior notification to applicants.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Candidates who will enrich our climate of diversity are encouraged to apply. Further inquiries about this position may be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit our web site at http://www.georgian.edu AA/EO Employer