Writing Center Coordinator at Northern Arizona University
The University Writing Center is looking for an applicant to fill a lecturer position beginning in the 2015-16 academic year. In collaboration with the Director of the Interdisciplinary Writing Program (IWP) and the Writing Program Administrator (WPA), the Coordinator of the Writing Center will be expected to:
- Oversee the operations of the writing center and manage writing center satellites across campus
- Recruit, train and manage graduate and undergraduate writing center tutors
- Design and implement face-to-face and online tutoring workshops and materials for students and faculty
- Tutor students with diverse academic, cultural, and language backgrounds
- Teach professional development courses for writing center tutors
- Teach courses in the Rhetoric, Writing, and Digital Media area
- Supervise and evaluate graduate and undergraduate student tutors
- Collaborate with faculty in all seven colleges (Health & Human Services, Education, Engineering, Forestry,& Natural Sciences, Arts & Letters, Franke College of Business, Social & Behavioral Sciences, and University College) to enhance the teaching of writing
- Conduct workshops on a range of writing topics
- Revise the mission, vision, and student learning goals/outcomes to reflect those of Northern Arizona University
- Design an assessment plan for the writing center
- Develop plans for expanding Writing Center programs and services
- Work with and report to the Director of the Interdisciplinary Writing Program (IWP)
- Collaborate with the Writing Program Administrator (WPA)
The University Writing Center lecturer position carries a reduced teaching load. This position will teach 2 courses per term.
- M.A. in Rhetoric/Composition/Writing Studies or related field
- Two years supervisory and/or training experience (writing center, writing program, non-profit, private sector)
- 2 years experience teaching writing at the college level
- PhD in Composition/Rhetoric/Writing Studies or related field
- Experience with professional workplace writing
- Experience with writing in the disciplines (technical, science, health professions, humanities, social sciences)
- Knowledge of research on writing in the disciplines
- Knowledge of media for educational purposes
- Publications on any aspect of writing center administration, composition studies and/or work with ESL writers
- Experience in and a commitment to teaching in a multicultural, multiracial environment with students of diverse backgrounds and learning styles
Applications for this position will only be considered if they are submitted through NAU’s on-line application process. Please go visit http://nau.edu/Human-Resources/Careers/Faculty-and-Administrator-Openings/, and search for Job ID number #601259. The online application must include a single attachment containing: 1) a cover letter highlighting your particular qualifications for this position; 2) a curriculum vitae; 3) a statement of teaching philosophy; 4) a statement of research interests; and 5) names and contact information for three references. Save all items, in the order stated, as a single PDF or Word document.
The search committee will begin reviewing files on March 27, 2015, and we will begin conducting phone interviews the following week. Consideration of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Northern Arizona University (26,000 students) is composed of faculty, staff and students from a wide range of culturally diverse backgrounds. Applicants should be experienced with and dedicated to work in such a diverse population. NAU is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution: minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.