Multiple Literacies and Future Writing Programs (Mid-America Writing Program Administrators)
The Mid-America Writing Program Administrators organization is now inviting proposals for its fall conference:
MULTIPLE LITERACIES AND FUTURE WRITING PROGRAMS
September 28–29, 2007 • St. Louis, Missouri
DR. DAVID JOLLIFFE, PROFESSOR OF ENGLISH AND BROWN CHAIR
IN ENGLISH LITERACY AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT FAYETTEVILLE
While the MAWPA fall conference and its Colloquium on Writing Assessment provide opportunities to
explore a variety of topics related to writing programs, their administration, and their environments, it asks
us specifically to address how our programs can be viable and relevant for the future and to question, as we
move ahead, what directions we should take as we incorporate multiple literacies into our teaching.
• What pressures do these new literacies place on you, as WPA, and your program?
• What opportunities for growth do you see, for yourself, your program, faculty/instructors,
curriculum, technology, student learning, or outreach?
• What can our students learn from us?
• What must we learn from them?
• What new relationships do you see developing in your institution and the profession as a result of
these pressures and opportunities?
• What are your needs for funding, program development, faculty expertise, and institutional
resources? What challenges do you face in satisfying these needs?
• What about assessment? How do the pressures, opportunities, relationships, and needs affect
Concurrent sessions and the keynote address are scheduled for Friday, September 28, and a business
meeting on Saturday morning, September 29. Registration materials will soon be available and will
showcase the Daniele Hotel, in Clayton, Missouri, one of St. Louis’ most central and best
Please submit your proposal by August 10 for a:
• Single paper (15 minutes) • Panel discussion (50 minutes)
• Workshop (50 minutes) • Roundtable discussion (50 minutes)
Submit proposals online at www.umsl.edu/~conted/conferences/mawpa
For further information, please contact Suellynn Duffey at email@example.com or William Klein at
firstname.lastname@example.org, MAWPA Conference Co-Chairs, University of Missouri–St. Louis.
Acceptances will be announced by August 31.