July 13-14, 2020
2020 CWPA Virtual Discussion Conference
As you know, CWPA had to postpone its usual face-to-face conference due to COVID-19. However, we are offering a two-day online "discussion" conference on July 13 and 14 to give our members a chance to discuss issues of pressing concern.
The conference will be organized around a set of themes. Participants will have the opportunity to participate in discussions around those themes in larger and smaller "rooms" within Zoom. Each room will have moderators, and the focus will be on productive discussions rather than formal presentations. This is an opportunity for us to draw from each others' expertise in these difficult times.
To allow for productive discussion, each theme will be capped at 120 registrants. Please feel free to sign up for the discussions you most want to have and you know you can make--it is not necessary to sign up for every discussion.
In lieu of a registration fee, CWPA is asking registrants to make a donation to help cover the setup costs for this event. Recommended donations are from $10-$50.
Monday, July 13
- Labor Issues in a Time of Crisis: 10:00-11:00 AM
- Facilitated by Seth Kahn, Darci Thoune, Andy Frazee, and Casie Fedukovich, this discussion will focus on labor concerns and ways to support writing-program faculty.
- Antiracist WPA-ing: 11:15-12:15
- Facilitated by Jason Depolo, Patti Poblete, Mark Blaauw-Hara, Paula Patch, Lilian Mina, and Annie Del Principe, this discussion will focus on how WPAs can support antiracist instruction, assessment, and more.
- Discussions for New(er) WPAs: 1:00-2:00 PM
- Facilitated by Duane Roen, Sherry Rankins-Robertson, Lilian Mina, Michelle LaFrance, Mark McBeth, Darci Thoune, and Jenn Stewart, this discussion will focus on the concerns of early-career WPAs. However, everyone is welcome, no matter the career stage!
- WPA-GO Mentoring Sessions: 2:15-3:15 (please contact email@example.com for more information)
- This session is led by CWPA's Graduate Organization and matches mentors with mentees. Please contact the Sara Lovett at the above email address for more information.
Tuesday, July 14
- Online Writing Instruction: 1:00-2:00
- Facilitated by Jessie Borgman, Casey McArdle, Derek Mueller, and Beth Brunk-Chavez, this discussion will focus on best practices for online writing instruction and questions about moving writing programs online during the pandemic.
- Self-Care in Challenging Times: 2:15-3:15
- Facilitated by Jacob Babb, Courtney Adams Wooten, Kristi Costello, and Kate Navickas, this discussion will focus on ways WPAs can practice self-care in these stressful times.
- WPA-GO Co-Writing Session: 3:30-4:30
- Town Hall: 4:45-5:45
- Facilitated by the CWPA Officers, this is an opportunity for members to share questions and concerns about the organization.
All times are in EST. Again, sessions are capped at 120 participants and will be subdivided into smaller discussion groups.
Special Membership Rate!
From June 15 through July 15 we are offering a SPECIAL membership rate! Regardless of your income, you can register for our cheapest faculty option: $45 for a year of membership, including digital access to our award-winning journal. Take advantage of this offer today by clicking here and selecting Membership Level 1, Green Option!