Assistant Professor of English Education, Arizona State University
of English Education, Tenure-Track
Arizona State University, Tempe Campus
We seek a colleague at the assistant professor rank to join our work in English Education at Arizona State University.
- Earned doctorate “prior to appointment” Fall 2010 in English Education, Language and Literacy Studies, Educational Linguistics, Bilingual Studies in Education, or related discipline
- Experience in teaching and research with English Language Learners in English, Language Arts, or Literacy classrooms.
- Evidence of three or more years of successful secondary school teaching.
- Experience conducting educational research and scholarly writing.
- Evidence of and commitment to culturally responsive pedagogy in teaching and research.
- Experience in teaching and research with Latino/a students and/or Latino/a students who are native speakers of Spanish.
- Experience in supervising secondary pre-service teachers.
- Evidence of external funding.
- College teaching and/or demonstrated leadership with in-service teachers.
- Experience in one or more of our teaching areas, which include media literacy and instructional pedagogy, critical perspectives on English Education, young adult literature, the teaching of composition, the teaching of language, and research in English Education.
Teaching load is 2/2 for tenure-track faculty with a significant research agenda. Teaching opportunities are at undergraduate, Master’s, and Ph.D. levels. The appointment will be in the Department of English, which collaborates with the Mary Lou Fulton Institute and Graduate School of Education and with the College of Teacher Education and Leadership (CTEL).
Instructions to apply: Applicants must mail letter of Inquiry including general qualifications; Vita; 2-3 samples of relevant research based writing; Three letters of recommendation. Recommenders send letters directly to the Chair, English Education Search Committee, Department of English, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287-0302. Application deadline (no faxes or e-mail) must be received by Tuesday, December 1, 2009. If not filled, then every Monday thereafter until the search is closed. All applications will be acknowledged. A background check is required for employment. AA/EOE.