Associate Director, University Learning Commons, St. John's University
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF UNIVERSITY LEARNING COMMONS
St. John’s University, Queens, NY
St. John’s University seeks candidates for a new Associate Director of the University Learning Commons, the heart of the University’s tutoring support services. The University Learning Commons (ULC) offers one-on-one and small group tutoring for undergraduates and graduates in all subject areas. The Associate Director will report to the Associate Provost for Student Success, who also serves as Director of the ULC. Qualified applicants might also be eligible to teach college courses for additional compensation (maximum one per semester). This position is located on our Queens campus.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Train and mentor undergraduate and graduate ULC tutors
• Give workshops on various study skills (time management, note taking, test anxiety, etc.)
• Coordinate online scheduling system
• Recruit and interview tutors
• Assist Director of ULC with student learning outcomes assessment
• Collaborate with faculty to integrate tutoring services into existing curricula and pedagogy
• Collaborate with related student success programs (University Freshman Center, Writing Center, etc.)
Minimum qualifications include:
Master's degree required, with doctorate or ABD in Education, Academic Counseling, or related areas preferred. Demonstrated experience working as an academic counselor and/or tutor, as well as in the supervision and evaluation of tutors and/or teachers. Some college teaching experience preferred. Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills. Strong organizational skills and ability to provide budgetary oversight.
Position to start January 3, 2012; applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates should submit a letter of application, CV, a statement of teaching philosophy, and at least three letters of recommendation to: Dr. Jacqueline Grogan, Assoc. Provost for Student Success, St. John's University, Queens, NY 11439, 718-990-6176, firstname.lastname@example.org