Tenure-track Assistant Professor of English, Director of Publishing
Position Number : D93320
Job Title : Assistant Professor of English, Director of Publishing
FTE : 1.0 benefits eligible
Job Type : Tenure Track
Posted date : March 9, 2012
The English Department at Portland State University invites applications for a nine-month, tenure-track
1.0 FTE position as an Assistant Professor in Publishing to begin September 16, 2012. The individual
hired will assume duties as the Director of our Publishing Program, including the program's in-house
teaching press, Ooligan Press. The candidate should be able to teach graduate and undergraduate
courses in print and digital book publishing, as well as handle administrative duties for the program.
Ph.D. or MFA in English or a terminal degree in a relevant publishing-related field is required at the time
of appointment. 2/2/2 academic year course load; competitive salary and excellent benefits.
• Direct and build the MA in Publishing as an academic program in the English department.
• Direct Portland State's in-house Ooligan Press.
• Teach courses in Publishing, including both undergraduate and graduate offerings.
• Administer program admissions, hire adjuncts, and attend departmental meetings.
• Engage in development and community outreach activities as appropriate.
• Advise undergraduate and graduate level Publishing students and serve on graduate exam
• Ph.D. or MFA at time of appointment.
• Significant professional experience in digital and print publishing.
• Previous teaching experience.
Portland State offers a competitive salary with an excellent benefits package including healthcare and
reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependant at any of the Oregon University System schools.
Send letter of interest, current C.V., and names of three references to Chair, Publishing Search
Committee, Dept of English, Portland State University, PO Box 751, Portland OR 972070751. Applications
must be received by April 30, 2012. Confirmation of receipt with SASE; reviewing will begin immediately
and continue until finalists have been identified, with initial interviews conducted via videoconferencing.
Portland State University supports equal opportunity in admissions, education, employment, housing, and
use of facilities by prohibiting discrimination in those areas based on age, color, disability, marital status,
national origin, race, religion or creed, sex or gender, gender identity or gender expression, sexual
orientation, veteran status, or any other basis in law. This policy implements state and federal
laws. Inquiries about it should be directed to the Office of Equity and Compliance, 1600 SW 4th