University of California, San Diego
Assistant Director, Humanities Program, Revelle College, UC San Diego (Academic Coordinator I - AY/ Lecturer)
The Humanities Program of Revelle College, University of California, San Diego seeks a Lecturer and Academic Coordinator. The Humanities Program is a core curriculum program, offering five interdisciplinary, chronologically arranged courses in the history of Western culture and ideas to all freshmen and sophomore students. The Program places a strong emphasis on the development of skills in formal, persuasive writing on serious topics and in the reading of challenging texts.
The core Humanities courses are on the following subjects: Ancient Israel and Ancient Greece; Rome, Early Christianity, and the Medieval World; Reformation and Renaissance; The Age of Reason and the Romantic Period; Modern Culture. Each course is centrally concerned with influential texts from formative traditions of Western culture.
As Lecturer, the person hired would teach three large-enrollment courses per year. As Academic Coordinator, he or she would serve as Assistant Director of the Program, working with the program's numerous faculty to maintain and develop curriculum, promote continuity, hire teaching assistants and supervise their work, and implement the curriculum of writing instruction that runs throughout the Program's courses.
This is an academic-year (9-month) appointment with eligibility of continued appointment per UC guidelines. The Academic Coordinator appointment is eligible for reappointment and merit every 2 years. The Lecturer component has the potential for appointment annually through the lecturer application process.
Hiring Salary Range: $50,244-$62,784 (salary commensurate with experience). *Teaching in the summer as additional compensation may be considered.
- A Ph.D. awarded for work in a humanistic field (typically in History, Philosophy, or Literature). Degree must be conferred by May 31, 2018
- A record of excellent teaching directly relevant to the Program and demonstrating an assured ability to make challenging texts fully accessible to undergraduate students
- Strong interest and successful experience in teaching texts written before the twentieth century
- Excellent organizational ability, including the ability to pursue and complete numerous projects at the same time
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work well in a team-oriented academic environment with colleagues representing many backgrounds and interests
- An ability to work effectively with students representing diverse backgrounds, interests, and levels of preparation
- Demonstrated experience and commitment in areas contributing to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and a desire to play a leadership role in advancing UC San Diego's commitment to achieving excellence and diversity in an academic setting. UCSD is committed to building an excellent and diverse faculty, staff, and student body and invites applications from candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment.
- Experience in curricular planning and development
- Teaching experience in large classes (over 100 students)
- Experience in teaching students in a research university
Applications should be submitted to the UCSD on-line application collection system, AP-On-Line Recruit, at: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF01594.
*Teaching evaluations may be requested if the candidate is selected for an interview
The Humanities Program offers interdisciplinary courses in history, philosophy, and literature, with a focus on major aspects of the Western humanistic tradition. In these courses, students examine the development of a wide variety of ideas and forms of expression that exert a major influence on modern America. Through lectures and class discussions, and through the writing of essays, students learn to interpret literary, historical, and philosophical texts and to conduct independent critical assessment of documents and ideas.
The sequence of courses, Humanities 1 through 5, meets the humanities and writing requirement of Revelle College. Instruction in university-level writing is part of all five courses, but students in Humanities 1 and 2 (six units each) receive intensive writing instruction.
For detailed description of the Revelle College humanities requirement, see Revelle College, General-Education Requirements, Humanities, in the UCSD General Catalog.
Revelle College, the first college at UC San Diego, was founded in the early 1960's when the Great Books programs piloted by the University of Chicago and Columbia University influenced humanities curricula throughout the nation. The original Revelle College faculty, led by the founder, Roger Revelle, believed that educated people should be acquainted with the literary, historical, philosophical, scientific, and social ideas and problems that have defined our culture.
As the first college at UCSD, Revelle College has a dedicated cadre of senior faculty loyal to the College's classical ideal of education. The College's core Humanities sequence has the highest percentage of senior faculty instructors of all the University's core courses. The Revelle faculty has included Nobel Prize winners such as Harold Urey, Francis Crick, and, recently, Roger Tsien, Nobel Laureate in Chemistry.
AA-EOE: The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Job locationSan Diego, CA
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Teaching
- Statement of Contributions to diversity - Applicants should summarize their past or potential contributions to diversity. See our Faculty Equity site for more information.
- Misc/ Additional #2 (Optional)
- Misc / Additional (Optional)
References3 letters of reference required
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.