The School of Humanities & Social Sciences (SHSS) at Nazarbayev University invites applications for Instructors in the Writing Center to begin in January and August, 2019.
The SHSS Writing Center supports students and faculty across the university by teaching writing and communication courses in the university core curriculum, and developing a robust culture of writing across the university.
As our university grows, we are looking for talented instructors who want to work with motivated students and contribute to our developing program. Successful candidates will be expected to teach first year composition, as well as discipline or division-specific writing courses at intermediate and advanced levels. Instructors also serve as tutors in the Writing Center, and may teach Communication courses and/or be involved in supporting undergraduate and graduate students and faculty across the university through our Writing Across the Curriculum and Writing Fellows initiatives.
Instructors teach the equivalent of a 4/4 course load.
Successful applicants will possess
- A Master’s degree in English, Rhetoric and Composition, Science Writing, Professional/Technical Writing, Communication, or closely-related field, or
- A Master’s degree in an unrelated field, complemented by recognition of excellent writing
- Experience teaching Freshmen Composition or Writing Intensive Courses, and/or experience tutoring in a Writing Center;
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills;
- An appreciation for flexibility in a developing context;
- An interest in continuing professional development
Preference will be given to applicants with at least three of the following:
- 5+ years of experience teaching writing at a tertiary level
- Experience working in international settings
- Experience supporting Graduate Student Writers
- Expertise in teaching writing for STEM disciplines, Multimodal Composition, or Communication courses
- Demonstrated contributions to Writing Across the Curriculum and/or Writing Fellows programs
This is a three-year appointment with the possibility of renewal.
Applicants should submit an application including a cover letter explaining how they see their experience and expertise fitting the criteria listed above, a curriculum vitae including the names of three referees, including at least one from a recent supervisor and one from someone who can address the candidate's teaching abilities, and a teaching philosophy that details personal experience. Enquiries and applications should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send all materials as attachments. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
We are hiring candidates to begin in January and August 2019. Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled, but applications received by September 20 will receive fullest consideration for positions beginning in January 2019.
Nazarbayev University was launched in 2010 as a premier national and regional university, partnering with some of the most internationally recognized names in Higher Education. The strategic partner of SHSS is the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Admission to NU is highly competitive, and the student body is selected from the top high schools throughout the country and region. Most students participate in a foundation year program, and thus enter the School of Humanities and Social Sciences with extensive English language training and academic preparation. SHSS programs emphasize student-oriented learning, with small class sizes and a low student-to-faculty ratio of about 12:1. All classes are taught in English.
Nazarbayev University offers an attractive benefits package, including:
housing based on family size and rank;
air tickets to home country, twice per year;
no-cost medical insurance, with global coverage;
educational allowance for children.