Writing Center Director at Keuka College (NY)
Reports To: Chair, Division of Humanities & Fine Arts
Position Type: Full Time
Standard Hours: 40 hours / week
FLSA Status: Exempt
Classification: Professional StaffSummary:
The primary charge of this administrative position is to provide leadership for and coordination of the Keuka College Writing Center. The Writing Center is a campus hub for writing and digital literacy needs; it supplies writing consultation by professional and student consultants and offers workshop instruction and classroom support. General responsibilities include managing staff, scheduling, assessment of center services, and collaborating with the Writing Program Director to support and deliver the mission of the Keuka College Writing Program. Additionally, the Writing Center Director will be expected to provide consultant training, develop and manage online writing support, and regularly consult with individual students. This 12-month administrative position reports to the Chair of the Division of Humanities and Fine Arts.
- Establish and maintain Writing Center services to all Keuka College students.
- Manage the recruitment, hiring, training, and supervision of professional writing specialists and student writing consultants.
- Maintain campus presence to supervise Writing Center operations.
- Ensure consistent and effective data collection of writing services.
- Consult HFA Division Chair on budgetary matters; track budget and spending on writing services and materials.
- Make recommendations to HFA Division Chair for the successful functioning of the Writing Center.
- Teach two writing courses (6-8 credits) per academic year.
- Offer one-on-one instruction on a drop-in and online appointment basis to students in need of assistance with writing and related skills.
- Collaborate with Writing Program Director to promote the Writing Program mission and aims, deliver consultant training and professional development, and maintain an active culture of writing across the college.
- Organize and facilitate workshops for students, staff, and faculty for a variety of writing-related needs, including the development of critical reading and writing skills.
- Direct development and dissemination of Writing Center instructional resources; oversee the maintenance of writing-related content for the Writing Center website.
- Collaborate with faculty in the design of writing assignments/projects and assessment tools.
- Work with division chairs, program directors, and faculty to recruit potential writing tutors for specialized writing services.
- Responsible for ensuring that assigned tasks are completed in compliance with various institutional and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain a professional and courteous attitude at all times towards co-workers, internal and external customers, representing Keuka College, its programs, policies, and procedures in a positive and professional manner. Maintain effective working relationships to ensure institution-wide teamwork.
- Attend provided/necessary training and other meetings to support effectiveness within the position as required.
- Consistently demonstrate high standards of integrity by supporting the Keuka College mission, vision, and values and adhering to institutional policies.
- Maintain a high regard for student privacy in accordance with the FERPA privacy policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance is expected and required.
- Perform other functions as assigned by management.
- Master's Degree in English, Education, Literacy or related fields required; Ph.D. in composition and rhetoric preferred
- College-level teaching and/or writing center experience, 3-5 years preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Understand and behave with a high level of integrity and complete confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to be sensitive to and respond to the needs/concerns of students, faculty, college staff and the public.
- Ability to work under pressure with a high tolerance for interruptions, and the ability to work with diverse groups of people.
- Some evening and weekend hours may be required.
- Occasional lifting up to 25 lbs.
In support of the Americans with Disabilities Act, this job description lists only those responsibilities and qualifications deemed essential to the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer