Director of Composition
The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga Department of English seeks to hire a tenure-track Assistant Professor in Rhetoric/Composition to serve as the Director of Composition starting in Fall 2016.
- Ph.D. in English, Rhetoric, Composition, Writing Studies, or related field.
- At least two years administrative experience with writing programs.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching composition-related courses.
- Two or more years administrative experience directing writing programs.
- Sustained record of scholarship relevant to the position as evidenced by presentations or publications in writing program administration, writing in the disciplines, Rhetoric/Composition, or related fields.
- Experience with writing faculty development.
- Expertise with using digital technology in the classroom.
- Experience with and interest in program assessment.
Responsibilities: The Director of Composition will oversee the department’s required first-year composition courses. Primary responsibilities include program administration, curriculum development, faculty development, and program assessment. Regular teaching load in the department is 4/4; this position has a 2/2 course reassignment for administrative work. Teaching opportunities may include undergraduate courses in composition, advanced writing, rhetoric, or upper-division nonfiction writing; as well as graduate courses in composition theory and pedagogy, and applied nonfiction writing. This is a 9-month faculty position with a stipend for work required in the summer months. The composition program is supported by its own administrative assistant.
The Department of English offers an undergraduate major and a Masters of Arts, each with three tracks: rhetoric and professional writing, creative writing, and literature. For more information about the department, visit http://www.utc.edu/english/.
Application Procedure: To apply, send a letter of application and a CV as a PDF to: email@example.com
Review of completed applications will begin on October 1, 2015, and will continue until the position is filled. We plan to schedule Skype interviews by late-October.
The University of Tennessee Chattanooga is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.