The Department of English at the University of North Texas invites applications for a Director of the Writing Center (locally referred to as the UNT Writing Lab). The Director will hold a full-time, non-tenure track appointment in the Department of English and depending on relevant experience, may be appointed as a Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, or Principal Lecturer. The UNT English department offers a BA with a Concentration in Rhetoric and Writing as well as MA and PhD degrees in English.
The typical workload of the successful candidate will be: 50% Administrative, 40% Teaching, and 10% Service. Teaching load is negotiated with the department, but typically the Director will teach two courses per long semester. The Director will receive 1.5 months of summer salary, and the position is supported by a full-time administrative assistant. The appointment will begin Fall 2017.
Required Qualifications: Earned doctorate in Rhetoric and Composition or closely-related field by start of appointment. Training in writing center theory and administration, and demonstrated knowledge of best practices in the field. Demonstrable excellence in teaching college writing and/or undergraduate writing courses, or in teaching in other writing programs. Outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills, and demonstrated ability to work well in a team-oriented environment.
Preferred Qualifications: Evidence of excellent administrative performance in a college or university writing center; evidence of effective management and mentoring of student employees; experience with budget management; and experience teaching undergraduate courses in Rhetoric and Writing studies, including Rhetorical History and Historiography, Modern Rhetorical Studies, and intermediate/advanced Studies in Writing.
1. Oversee all operations of the UNT Writing Center, including managing its daily operations, overseeing all budget, payroll, and purchasing activities, maintaining its technology and equipment needs, and assessing the effectiveness of its programming and operations.
2. Train, direct, and mentor a Writing Center staff of 30 to 35 student employees. Organize and sustain instructor development programs in collaboration with other disciplines.
3. Strategically direct, promote, and publicize the services of the Writing Center, including developing and managing its content marketing.
4. Engage in grant writing and fundraising to increase support for writing programs.
5. Teach undergraduate courses each fall and spring semester in the Department of English.
6. Engage in service at the department, college, university, and national levels.
UNT offers a competitive salary and travel support. Please apply online at https://facultyjobs.unt.edu by March 15, 2017 for optimal consideration. Please include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, Writing Center Philosophy, and Teaching Philosophy. Please also send three letters of reference to Robert Upchurch, Chair, Department of English, University of North Texas, 1155 Union Circle #311307, Denton, TX 76203-5017. First round interviews will be conducted via Skype.